Will Invisalign Change My Face Shape?
Invisalign is a great alternative treatment for adults and teens that do not desire metal braces and are looking for a virtually invisible method to improve their smile. There are no brackets, wires or restrictions with Invisalign unlike metal braces. Invisalign can even be removed for eating and drinking so that there are no diet restrictions. Essentially, Invisalign is comprised of thin plastic aligners, “trays” that are digitally molded to fit your teeth. Gradually, these trays are replaced over a period of time to straighten the teeth in order to give you the smile you may have always wanted.
An Invisalign trained professional will be able to properly perform an evaluation and provide a treatment plan for any questions you may have regarding Invisalign. Specifically, an orthodontist who is highly trained not only in correcting teeth and bites but in managing and enhancing a person’s entire facial appearance may be a great option if you have questions specific to physical face shape. However, with Invisalign it is possible to slightly change the shape of your mouth once treatment is finished with a positive result.
Before Invisalign treatment, if your lips were being pushed out due to protruding teeth, your mouth may look different. If you previously had an underbite, overbite or crossbite, following any Invisalign treatment your lower face may potentially look slightly different. More often than not, any physical changes to your face following Invisalign treatment will be minimal and hardly noticeable.
Pros and Cons of Invisalign
Here’s a close look at the pros and cons of Invisalign.
- Invisible: Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible to the naked eye. This means, nobody will know you’re wearing them (unless you tell them, of course).
- Removable: Unlike traditional braces that come with food restrictions, Invisalign can be removed every time you eat or drink. You can also remove it to brush and floss your tooth.
- Extreme Comfort: You’ll find Invisalign aligners to be incredibly comfortable due to their extreme flexibility. They’ll mold perfectly to your mouth so you won’t have to worry about any sharp edges.
- Faster Treatment Time: In most cases, Invisalign treatments are faster than traditional braces as they can be completed in a year or less.
- Diligence is Necessary: Although Invisalign aligners are removable, they won’t work unless they are in your mouth for at least 22 hour a day. You need to be diligent in wearing them if you want to see results.
- Frequent Cleaning: Every time you eat and drink, it’s important to brush and floss your teeth before putting Invisalign back in your mouth.
- Risk of Losing Aligners: You can lose your aligners if you take them out of your mouth and forget about them.
How common is Invisalign?
Over 5 million patients across the country have used Invisalign to straighten their teeth and improve their smiles.
Are orthodontist appointments frequent with Invisalign?
Invisalign doesn’t interfere with your busy schedule because appointments are every six weeks.
What makes Invisalign different from metal braces?
Metal braces feature metal brackets that are adhered to your teeth and tied together by wires. Invisalign, on the other hand, involves clear aligners trays that are worn over your teeth and gradually move them into their proper positions.
Many patients who have received Invisalign can attest to the happiness that treatment it has brought them. According to a consumer testimony, Vicky, a business owner and life coach who had braces previously in her lifetime and noticed reappearance of her overbite said, “Since I got Invisalign treatment, I have more confidence.”
If you are interested in Invisalign treatment but have concerns, those of us at Sims Orthodontics would love to speak with you. Dr. Sims is a board certified Invisalign Premier Provider, meaning that he has achieved a significant level of experience in treating patients with Invisalign. Dr. Sims is confident that he can answer any questions that you may have. We proudly serve patients in Pensacola, Crestview, Milton and Gulf Breeze. Please feel free to give us a call today, (850)-477-7715 to schedule an Invisalign consultation.